Thursday 4 February 2010

“Personally, I think if a women hasn't met the right man by the time she's 24, she may be lucky”

A quote by Deborah Kerr.

I have to say I tend to agree with this quote. I married when I was only 19 of course I thought I knew it all and my husband, who was 12 years older seemed mature, had his own house, car and a job...all I needed, I felt!

Now looking back I'm horrified to think that, at the time, and for a long time afterwards I had no aspirations other than to get married. I believe I have always had a competitive streak in me and somehow this 'streak ‘was willing me to be the first to get on with the 'race' that I felt life was, to be the first to do....well everything and anything really; let's waste no time thinking too much let’s just get on. I was 19 years old and old enough to be called Mrs someone/ anyone really I suppose.

How ridiculous that sounds to me now. It seems like a different person's thinking and actions and that's the truth of it. It may as well have been someone else getting married and thinking those thoughts because as you 'grow older' you become someone almost totally changed from when you were younger. I tell myself I feel the same as I did when I was 20 but in reality I feel happier, younger, more in control and I know who I am and what I am capable of... I have aspirations and dreams which I intend to do my upmost to fulfil before getting to the 'finish line of life' and now I don't want to rush to be the first to get to that finish line where I know there won’t be anyone handing out medals for doing everything first!

Having daughters that are now at the age I was when I was going down the path of marriage makes me look at them and realise just how much living and growing, of themsleves they have to do before they can possibly know who they would like their life partner to be. I hope, for their sake, they do take their time to choose wisely.

No comments: